EMAIL: sirbacon123@yahoo.com
TWITTER: @sirbacon123

26 January 2010

Bed, Blog & Beyond

Did you know that an Eastern King Bed is the same exact size as a Standard King Bed and that a Western King Bed is the same exact size as a California King Bed?

Neither did I, until last week.

I learned that while searching for a new pair of bed sheets -- my big project for a Wednesday.

Not quite a Power Point proposal, but it’s a job.

My destination was Bed, Bath & Beyond, where I was fortunate to meet Suzanne.

She helped me understand the thread count formula, the higher the better -- the difference between Egyptian Cotton and Italian Cotton, go Egyptian -- and most important where the clearance items are located.

While I cruised through the store, I decided to check my email.

Good move.

While I was comparing colors, I received a reply from the editor of a popular website where I had blindly sent my blog.

The way things have gone lately, any email is an exciting moment for me, but when I saw it was from the business world, I kinda expected confetti to fall from the ceiling.

You see, it was just one day earlier that I sent out a bunch of emails to introduce people to my blog.

Some friends, some shots in the dark.

The guest list ranged from those who have also been out of work for awhile to Oprah Winfrey. Wide range, huh?

(Don’t tell anyone, but Oprah’s private email address is Oprah13@gmail.com.)

JUST KIDDING, I SENT IT TO HER WEBSITE.

You may find this hard to believe, but Oprah has not replied, but to my surprise, the editor of website with more than two million hits per month did.

In fact, he said that my blog was “interesting and often moving.”

WOW!

He also said that, if I was willing, he would like to publish some of my blogs on his website and asked if “that would be okay?”

Hmmm, let me think about it.

YES!!!

The way this whole thing started, I was hoping that writing a blog would give me the chance to use my brain again, while getting some things of my chest.

I’m not saying that thread count is not interesting, but I am saying that writing this blog is.

And to hear that a complete stranger actually liked it, meant the world to me.

Unfortunately, this story ends like most of the others during my unemployment -- with serious disappointment.

I’m really not sure why, but after trading emails for several days, the editor has stopped corresponding with me.

I was really looking forward to introducing my blog to a brave new world, but that will have to wait for another day.

Hey, at least I got some new sheets.

No comments: