EMAIL: sirbacon123@yahoo.com
TWITTER: @sirbacon123

24 January 2010

Dance Fever

I’m guessing that my 12-year old daughter was not the inspiration for the Jackson 5‘s hit Dancin’ Machine, considering that “I” was only six years old when the song came out in 1973.

But like the song says, she is “movin and groovin” pretty much every day of the week.

Whether it’s in our kitchen or in the dance studio, where she spends more than 12 hours a week, she loves to dance.

Hip hop, jazz, pom. You name it, she’s in.

Last Friday night, she took on a new kind of dance -- a middle-school dance.

My wife and I chaperoned, giving us a night out and giving me a chance to forget that I was unemployed.

The theme was 80’s night, which was right up our alley.

One of the first songs we heard was Bryan Adams classic, “Heaven”.

Except, it wasn’t Bryan Adams. It was a dance version released in 2002 by DJ Sammy and Yanou.

Totally not the 80’s.

As the evening went on, we heard Journey and Wham, Miley Cyrus and the Black Eyed Peas.

Perhaps, the song that got the biggest reaction was the Village People mega-hit Y.M.C.A, released in 1978, oh by the way.

Totally, sorta the 80’s was more like it.

Many of the 7th & 8th graders dressed the part, with leg-warmers and polo shirts with the collar up.

The celebrity look-a-like contest was won by an a suburban white kid, dressed as M.C. Hammer, parachute pants and all.

For the record, “U Can’t Touch This” became a hit in 1990.

But, who’s counting?

I certainly enjoyed the night and enjoyed watching my daughter enjoy the night, but I still brought my smart phone, you know, just in case I needed to check sports scores.

At 8:44pm, on a Friday night, I was alerted that a new email had arrived.

So I opened it.

And for the first time since becoming unemployed 14 months ago, I had received a notification from my state’s job line that a job meeting my criteria had been posted.

At 8:44pm? On a Friday night?

Of course, I had to see what it was all about. Sure enough it was a job in my field.

The job requested three years experience. I have 25.

The job pays hourly. I have always been salary.

But hey, it’s a job.

I immediately applied, even though realistically, I am probably one of too many who put in for it.

But considering the struggle I have had to find anything, as Kool & the Gang would say, it’s time to “Celebrate”.

Released in 1980.


No comments: