EMAIL: sirbacon123@yahoo.com
TWITTER: @sirbacon123

16 January 2010

The Pep Talk

Throughout my time as a member of the unemployed, I have had a very good support system.

Between my wife, children, mom and a handful of very close friends, not too many days have gone by without a pep talk.

I think I’ve heard every cliche in the pep talk handbook, from “just be patient” to “it’s not your fault, the economy is bad” to “nobody hires during December.”

“Something good is going to happen.”

I’m not sure where I can re-fill my prescription for a bottle of faith, but for the most part all the pep talks must be working.

I’m still standing, right?

Well, this morning I woke up to the extended re-mix version of the pep talk.

“This is going to be our year.”

Ok, where do I sign?

For 45 minutes my loving wife reminded me that I am good at what I do, reminded me that I have a wife and three children who love me and most of all reminded me that I was still unemployed.

Of course the last part wasn’t her intention, but as anybody who goes through a breakup knows, it doesn’t take a whole lot to remind you of your ex.

For the most part, I think I’ve been doing ok -- somedays are definitely better than others.

There is SO much about my time at home that I have truly enjoyed, but when I take the time to think what has really happened, it definitely makes me sad.

No other way about it.

The good days are really good. Time for myself. Time for the family. Time to enjoy life.

The bad days, thankfully, have not been too bad. Don’t get me wrong, there have been some terrible moments in the last year, but very few terrible days.

I think of those bad times as a functional depression.

I am able to get to the gym every morning. I’m still motivated to search for a job, but all it takes is that one hint of what used to be and life feels empty.

I could be watching Phineas & Ferb on the Disney Channel, laughing with my kids, but when that one voice comes on that reminds me of somebody I used to work with, the show is no longer a comedy.

Perhaps the worst part of this miserable roller coaster ride are the high points.

Like the three different conversations this week I had a possible lead on a job -- but just like the dozens of others before it, they just disappeared.

Giving up is not really an option, nor is it a consideration.

I’m in for the long haul, ready to fight the good fight and any other cliches that apply.

“Hang in there. Keep your chin up.”

1 comment:

@techmatterseth said...

this is inspiring. for what it's worth right now, thank you.