EMAIL: sirbacon123@yahoo.com
TWITTER: @sirbacon123

22 April 2010

The Best of Both Worlds

It was the great 21st century poet, Destiny Hope Cyrus who once spoke of The Climb.  
You may know her better as Miley, but it’s very clear that she has really connected with the plight of the unemployed:
  • My faith is shaking but I got to keep trying, got to keep my head held high... the struggles I’m facing, the chances I’m taking, sometimes might knock me down, but no, I’m not breaking.
Like many of the millions out of work these days, I have lived and died and lived through this most miserable rotation of highs and lows.
Just when you think your destiny is out of hope, some small sign comes your way giving you another lead to chase.
Today it was an email from my good friend Jon.
Attached to the note was a new job posting.
Being that Jon is happily employed, his only goal was to help me and help me he did.
His note gave me more of an energy boost than the Americano at Starbucks.
Within minutes, I applied online... emailed somebody I know, not very well, at that company... found the name of the person this job will be reporting to.... emailed him...  went online to check out new job listings...  found a new job at a company near my house... and applied online for that one too, even though it really doesn’t totally speak to my background.
With about a quarter tank left, I checked my facebook account... saw a note from someone who had an big interview today in my field... emailed them to say that I would be happy to help out in any way I can.
What in the world is going on?
I was so deep in positive energy, I actually forgot that I was unemployed.
This chase was actually exciting.
Well I don’t know about exciting, but it was definitely a rush.
What is going on?
I’m writing this eight hours after getting Jon’s email and I’m still riding a high.
I know it sounds crazy, but when most of your days are spent in neutral or reverse, it really doesn’t take a whole lot of gas to get you going forward.
Today it was an email.
Tomorrow it could be a phone call.
The next day it could be a website.
The problem is, I’ve traveled down this road so many times before, I’m well aware that we are more-than-likely headed down Destination Nowhere.
I know that sounds like I’m bringing a bowl of negativity to this very positive party, but let’s be realistic here.
I’ve applied for a job that THOUSANDS of others will apply for.
The chances of getting a response from the company is slim. 
The chances of getting a response from the people I emailed are slimmer.  
The chances of getting an interview is slimmerer.  
The chances of getting the job are slimy.
But as the great Miley said:
  • There’s always going to be another mountain.  I’m always going to want to make it move.  Always going to be an uphill battle.  Sometimes you going to have to lose.  Ain’t about how fast I get there.  Ain’t about what’s waiting on the other side.   It’s the climb.
This Cyrus girl must’ve had some hardship in her life, because she really knows what she is talking about.
I wonder if my kids know who she is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh - whether you intended it, or not. You are a solid writer and hopefully someone will realize it. I like the title of this entry :-)